Tuesday, June 8, 2010

2007-2008 VTRelay

3 years ago I joined the VTRelay community. I had not participated in a Relay For Life in a few years and even then I had only attend 1 for a few hours.  I decided though that I would dive head first into a college RFL event by applying to be on the Team Recruitment committee.  However that didn't last long...I quickly dove deeper into the world of VTRelay.  When an offer was put out for someone to co-plan the first ever VTRelay Kickoff, I voluteered without even having a clue what the event was. 

By February 12, 2008 myself and one other brave VTRelay committee member (from the fundraising committee) had successfully put together a fantastic first annual VTRelay Kickoff.  We had secured (with the help of the Director and assistant Director) guest speakers, coordinated food, volutneers, the Hokie Bird, and advertised the event all across campus.  On a snowy/icy day approximately 400 people attended our event.


April 18th brought the 2008 VT Relay For Life, where thousands of VT students, faculty and community members participated in a 12 hour celebration at Johnson-Miller Track & Field.  We as a school and community successfully raised over $200,000 in the fight against cancer.  We were already considered the #1 collegiate Relay per capita for fundraising, and one of the largest collegiate Relay's in the nation, but we were well on our way to surpassing every collegiate Relay. VT Students don't participate in anything haphazardly, we always give 100% especially when we can represent our school's motto:

Ut Prosim: That I May Serve. 

I had caught the Relay For Life bug and it was only just beginning to grab hold of me.


Until We Find a Cure

No comments:

Post a Comment